?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Things that tweak my OCD thoughts:

Mold and Candles causing cancer?

I'm so obsessed with what my environment is doing to me.

Tags:

Comments

( 24 comments — Leave a comment )
missmeridian
Dec. 2nd, 2004 07:04 pm (UTC)
as a smoker, i couldn't care less about particulates from _candles_ infiltrating my lungs, but now i'm all freaked out about "gardens" of mold. damn you.
snidegrrl
Dec. 2nd, 2004 09:50 pm (UTC)
It's funny because this came from a coworker coming in and trying to scare us because we have candles burning in the office, and I was like, "dude, I smoke."
keryx
Dec. 2nd, 2004 07:16 pm (UTC)
It fascinates me that we've grown up with the same science/health warnings and gotten such different attitudes about it. My reactions to new warning-type-things is a) to immediately doubt the validity of the science itself and b) to categorize it with the other eighty bazillion such warnings, none of which directly affect my actual health.

That said, mold is everywhere all the time. And mold hates me. I've learned to every-so-slightly drug myself protectively. Bleh.
rackletang
Dec. 2nd, 2004 07:22 pm (UTC)
My reactions to new warning-type-things is a) to immediately doubt the validity of the science itself and b) to categorize it with the other eighty bazillion such warnings, none of which directly affect my actual health.

I'm with you, there. (Then again, I'm also a smoker, so ignoring cancer warnings is part of my mental makeup already...)
snidegrrl
Dec. 2nd, 2004 09:52 pm (UTC)
My paranoia about mold is not spurred by anything in the media, rather more by my mother. :) Maybe your mom is not so mold-conscious. Most of the time I roll my eyes at local news type scare tactics.
mpeg2tom
Dec. 3rd, 2004 02:59 am (UTC)
My mother kept slime molds in petri dishes in the basement of our hose. She was a mycologist, you see.

Yes, some kids had dogs, cats, or gerbils. I had slime molds as pets. Doesn't that explain a lot?!? ;)
snidegrrl
Dec. 3rd, 2004 04:25 am (UTC)
It allll makes sense now. :) hee!
traceracer
Dec. 2nd, 2004 07:25 pm (UTC)
Please don't ever ever come to my school.
examorata
Dec. 2nd, 2004 07:54 pm (UTC)
Or to my office. I should take a picture of all the exposed pipes and insulation right overhead. Plus yesterday? From up above? A bug fell on me. Yeech.
snidegrrl
Dec. 2nd, 2004 09:53 pm (UTC)
We have a huge beetle infestation, but mostly they scamper around on the floor, not fall from above. THANK G*D.
snidegrrl
Dec. 2nd, 2004 09:52 pm (UTC)
:(
traceracer
Dec. 2nd, 2004 10:20 pm (UTC)
Not because of anything against you, of course, but because you have something against mold.
snidegrrl
Dec. 2nd, 2004 10:35 pm (UTC)
I know :) I just am sad about the conditions in your school. :(
traceracer
Dec. 2nd, 2004 11:48 pm (UTC)
Yeah, me too :(
nixieq
Dec. 2nd, 2004 08:31 pm (UTC)
okay, i'm like 15 years old -- my interest in the article about candles completely train-wrecked when i saw that the research team leader's name was "theo de kok". huh huh huh huh...
rackletang
Dec. 2nd, 2004 10:06 pm (UTC)
Bwahahahahah, me too! Go us.
tzel
Dec. 2nd, 2004 09:56 pm (UTC)
Oh well, I'm gonna die...
zenthia
Dec. 2nd, 2004 10:57 pm (UTC)
But keeping your house too clean and free of mold and bacterial challenges is theorized to be the reason for the recent increase in auto-immune disorders and things like athsma! If you don't entertain your immune system it goes stir crazy.
snidegrrl
Dec. 2nd, 2004 11:14 pm (UTC)
Oh, I know. I didn't say it was a rational and sane urge I have. :)
mpeg2tom
Dec. 3rd, 2004 02:56 am (UTC)
Not to mention cell phones and tumors.

I don't actually think cellphones cause tumors, but I believe the candles and mold stuff!
snidegrrl
Dec. 3rd, 2004 04:23 am (UTC)
The cell phone thing never phased me. The candle thing only phases me because a friend was talking about cleaning her house after years of burning candles, and how gross it was. The stuff has to go somewhere!!
bizarrojack
Dec. 3rd, 2004 06:22 am (UTC)
particulate matter, mmm hmmm.
The church thing is interesting - One of the reasons (among many) that I am generally reluctant to return to church is that I tend to get short of breath amidst the heavy odor of frankincense. It's somewhat uncomfortable, and it DEFINITELY has always made me not want to sing. I dont think showing up there an hour a week is goig to do anyone any permanent harm, but if you um, uhh... who spends that much time IN the church? The priests trade off services, even. Perhaps if you were a political criminal seeking sanctuary in a church, you might be have some problems.
examorata
Dec. 3rd, 2004 01:07 pm (UTC)
Re: particulate matter, mmm hmmm.
Dude, most services don't even use incense. Or, not that much. It's a High Mass thing. But man oh man, when I was a kid, the pastor at my folks' church used to LOAD UP on the incense. It's like you couldn't see the altar for the clouds of smoke.
eeedge
Dec. 3rd, 2004 02:22 pm (UTC)
I love the suggestion to keep humidity under 40% to decrease mold 'cause that causes other respiratory and skin problems in humans. We need between 40% and 60% to be comfortable.

So I can be moldy or flaky (skin, that is. Stop snickering!).
( 24 comments — Leave a comment )

Profile

snidegrrl
keep it dark
Website

Latest Month

February 2009
S M T W T F S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Lilia Ahner